Sunday, August 08, 2010

More Media Requests for Concealed Handgun License Records

Two new media requests for Concealed Handgun License holder's personal information were made in July. The requests were made in writing by a reporter from the Statesman Journal. Oregon Firearms Federation brought this to my attention and provided this link. Within this article there is a link to the original letter received by Sheriff Jason Myers, and it has the business contact information for the reporter making the request. There are three reasons I am bringing this up:

  1. Those in Polk and Marion Counties need to be aware that their information is likely to be released to a newspaper soon. The rest of us need to be aware that this has now officially spread beyond the original court case in Jackson County, and I am sure our time is coming soon.
  2. The calmer and more rational among us should contact the reporter via her business address or email and explain to her why publishing this information puts people at risk and will increase gun theft and thereby increase illegally available guns. Getting angry with her will only prove the point that gun haters try to make about us.
  3. All of us need to contact our legislators and candidates in legislative races to find out what their position is on passing legislation to fix this public safety problem. Then we need to share their responses here and work to elect the ones that are going to keep our names out of the papers.
I contacted the Benton County Sheriff to find out if she has gotten any of these requests yet. I will post her response when I get it. I know what response I will get from my Representative and Senate Candidate (I've already asked them in the past), but I am going to put them on the spot and post their response here. I encourage each of you to do the same.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

I have sent my email to my Representative and Senate candidate. Here is where you can find yours:

Elected: http://www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/

Candidate's and elected officials by county: http://www.dpo.org/counties

Here is where you can find your County Sheriff's contact information: http://www.oregonsheriffs.org/

brian r said...

Thanks Jodi. I'm anxious to hear what your sheriff's reply is.

Jodi said...

I don't have responses back from my Representative and Senate Candidate yet, but this is what I got from our Sheriff in Benton County:

Hi Jodi,
I have received one request from a person representing a Republican Senator from eastern Oregon, but he has since rescinded his request. He made the request of every Sheriff in Oregon.

Other than that, I have not received any other requests such as received by Polk County or Marion County. If I do get a records request, my plan is to send letters to those CHL holders that have not changed their application to reflect that they do not want their records released. We changed our application form a couple of years ago to give license holders a choice. Those that checked no, meaning they don't have a problem with their information being released, will have their information disclosed if requested through a formal records request.

Hope this helps,
Diana Simpson
Sheriff

Zak Johnson said...

You all should really talk with State Rep. Jeff Barker, probably the most active pro-RKBA Democrat in Oregon. Brian Clem is another. This attack on the right to privacy, especially when it damages public and private safety is unacceptable.

Also, in case you forgot, the Multnomah Co. Democratic Party voted in favor of your position--keeping CWPs private--in 2009.

Zak Johnson said...

It's also worth reminding legislators that the Multnomah Co. Democratic Party passed a resolution in favor of keeping CHL records private on March 12, 2009:

Multnomah County Democrats Support Concealed Carry Permit Privacy